North Carolina FC raises MLS bid with stadium plan



Linkedin Twitter

North Carolina FC Image: North Carolina FC / Gensler

North Carolina FC have ramped up their bid for a Major League Soccer (MLS) expansion franchise by unveiling plans for a US$1.9 billion stadium site in downtown Raleigh.

Steve Malik, the United Soccer League (USL) Championship club’s owner and chairman, told WRAL TechWire he is partnering with local developer John Kane on the project, which includes a new 20,000-seater multi-use stadium and other entertainment offerings.

“Having an urban stadium with great highway access and with entertainment options surrounding it will strengthen our bid,” said Malik, speaking to WRAL TechWire. “At the same time, this plan is not just about soccer. We are planning 75 other major events and hundreds of smaller events that will activate the development year round.”

North Carolina FC said the district would boost tourism through additional visitors to Raleigh and Wake County, while also creating jobs and revitalising an underused area of downtown Raleigh. The district would be known as Downtown South.

Downtown South would sit on approximately 55 acres of land at downtown Raleigh’s southern edge at the intersection of South Saunders Street and Interstate 40. As well as the 20,000-seat, open-air stadium, the plans feature more than $1.9bn in private development through street-level retail, office space and housing.

The stadium would cost $180m and also host North Carolina’s women’s professional soccer team, North Carolina Courage. It would also stage marquee events such as concerts, festivals, graduations, trade shows and championship-level sporting events.

“This project holds tremendous promise for the City of Raleigh. It’s unlike anything I’ve worked on in my career. To be part of something that would enhance the lifestyle and overall appeal of our city while strengthening the local economy in such a meaningful way is powerful. I’m hopeful that the Raleigh City Council and Board of County Commissioners will enable this transformational project to become a reality,” KRC chief executive John Kane said.

The district would be privately funded but the group has asked Wake County for $13m per year in Interlocal Funds to be awarded for debt service and maintenance of the stadium.

Construction work is expected to begin in early 2020, with North Carolina having targeted 2023 for the completion of the first phase of the development, including the stadium.

MLS revised its expansion plans earlier this year, amending its previous goal of 28 teams to 30.

Sacramento and St Louis are expected to claim the next two expansion slots for an increased fee of US$200 million, adding to franchises in Miami, Nashville and Austin, all of which are joining the league in the coming years.

As a result, North Carolina FC will likely be competing for the final expansion slot with the likes of Las Vegas, which recently announced a new stadium proposal. MLS is yet to decide the expansion fee and timetable for the 30th team.

Continue to follow Coliseum for latest updates on venues business news. Coliseum is dedicated towards building the best global community of sports and entertainment venue executives and professionals creating better and more profitable venues.

Coliseum facilitates a dialogue between stadiums, arenas, clubs, leagues and experts and enables them to learn from each other while establishing relationships. Coliseum’s digital 365Coliseum Business Center is a vast pool of resource for the stadium and arena industry world-wide.




« Previous News:
» Next News:



More News

German Grand Prix with fans

German Grand Prix likely with spectators

Published: September 23, 2020

The Formula 1 German Grand Prix is likely to be held in front of 20,000 spectators on October 11th,... » Read more

Bundesliga back with fans

Fans back in Bundesliga fixtures

Published: September 23, 2020

For the first time since March, fans graced Italy’s Serie A and Germany’s Bundesliga matches... » Read more

UK not back with fans before November

COVID ‘killjoy’ in fans’ return to UK events

Published: September 23, 2020

Much to the consternation of fans, UK Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove has said that spectators... » Read more

Budapest Supercup news Sept. 2020

COVID put UEFA fans on the back foot

Published: September 23, 2020

With COVID-19 showing no signs to abate, fear writ large on several football fans’ faces. Though... » Read more


Newsletter sign-up