Bahrain and Saudi F1 races canceled



Linkedin
Twitter

F1 calender reduced to 22 races after MENA cancellations Image: Bahrain International Circuit, Derek Morrison, CC BY 2.0

Formula 1 has confirmed the cancellation of the Bahrain and Saudi Arabian Grands Prix due to war in the Middle East.

Sky Sports said the events will not be replaced in the calendar and the F1 2026 schedule will be reduced to 22 races.

There will now be a five-week gap between the Japanese Grand Prix on March 27-29 and the Miami Grand Prix on May 1-3.

The sport had been due in Bahrain for the season’s fourth round from April 10-12 before racing in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah a week later from April 17-19, but both countries are among the Gulf states to have been struck by attacks from Iran in retaliation to US-Israeli air strikes.

Several alternative venues were considered before the final decision not to replace the April dates was made.

The F2, F3 and F1 Academy rounds which had been scheduled during the Bahrain-Saudi Arabia double header will also not take place as planned.

London (UK)-based Formula One (F1) is the highest class of worldwide racing for open-wheel, single-seater formula racing cars run by the Formula One Group and sanctioned by the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA).

Stefano Domenicali, president and CEO of Formula 1, said, “While this was a difficult decision to take, it is unfortunately the right one at this stage considering the current situation in the Middle East.

“I want to take this opportunity to thank the FIA as well as our incredible promoters for their support and total understanding as they were looking forward to hosting us with their usual energy and passion.

“We cannot wait to be back with them as soon as the circumstances allow us to do so.”

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem added, “The FIA will always place the safety and well-being of our community and colleagues first. After careful consideration, we have taken this decision with that responsibility firmly in mind.

“We continue to hope for calm, safety and a swift return to stability in the region, and my thoughts remain with all those affected by these recent events.

“Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are incredibly important to the ecosystem of our racing season, and I look forward to returning to both as soon as circumstances allow.

“My sincere thanks to the promoters, our partners, and our colleagues across the championship for the collaborative and constructive approach that has led to this decision.”
 

Formula 1 2026 Calendar – Updated

Note: Swipe left to right to view full table →

Australia March 6-8 Netherlands August 21-23*
China March 13-15* Italy September 4-6
Japan March 27-29 Madrid September 11-13
Miami May 1-3* Azerbaijan September 24-26
Canada May 22-24* Singapore October 9-11*
Monaco June 5-7 USA October 23-25
Barcelona June 12-14 Mexico Oct 30-Nov 1
Austria June 26-28 Brazil November 6-8
Great Britain July 3-5* Las Vegas November 19-21
Belgium July 17-19 Qatar November 27-29
Hungary July 24-26 Abu Dhabi December 4-6

 
*denotes Sprint weekend
 
Continue to follow Coliseum for latest updates on venues business news. Coliseum is dedicated towards building the best global community of sports and entertainment venue executives and professionals creating better and more profitable venues.

Become a member of the only Global Sports Venue Alliance and connect with stadiums, arenas and experts from around the world. Apply for membership at coliseum-online.com/alliance and make use of the 365Coliseum Business.

Watch 500+ member-exclusive videos with valuable tips for your venue



« Previous News:
» Next News:




Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

More News

Montreal’s Olympic Stadium to undergo renovation

Montreal Olympic Stadium renovation work to head inside

Published: August 17th, 2026

The Government of Quebec has given the green light for the Olympic Park to begin a new phase in... » Read more

Landmark Africa is planning the Dream Theatre Entertainment Centre a 20,000-capacity indoor arena in Lagos

Landmark Africa unveils plans for 20,000-seat arena in Lagos

Published: August 17th, 2026

Landmark Africa has revealed plans for a 20,000-capacity indoor arena in Lagos, Nigeria. Business... » Read more

Istanbul’s Atatürk Olympic Stadium will host Spanish Supercopa from February 2-7

Spanish Super Cup clash of titans at Atatürk Olympic Stadium

Published: August 17th, 2026

Should the LaLiga team FC Barcelona (Spain) retain the Spanish Super Cup for a third consecutive... » Read more

New fan zone at The Halls for Wolfs’ new matchday experience

Wolverhampton Wanderers Fanzone at The Halls matchday destination

Published: August 17th, 2026

The English Football League (EFL – a competition for professional football clubs in England and... » Read more


Receive global sports venue NEWS five times a week in your inbox