A glance at sporting events of 2022
The sporting year 2022 looks different than the previous years. It is Olympics in Winter (Beijing 2022) and the FIFA World Cup™ in Qatar in November this year. But, even in Summer this year, there are plenty of major events on the calendar, some of which have been postponed.
The ‘kicker’ stated that the large wave of pandemic-related cancellations in 2020 is having its ripple effect in the sporting year 2022. After the Tokyo Olympics were postponed by 12 months, some major events had to be postponed by a year.
An overview of the most important sporting events of 2022:
- Beijing Winter Olympics (February 4th to 20th)
The 2022 Winter Olympics, officially the XXIV Olympic Winter Games and commonly known as Beijing 2022, are an upcoming international winter multisport event scheduled to take place from February 4th to February 20th, 2022 in Beijing and venues near neighboring towns of Yanqing and Chongli in the People’s Republic of China.
The athletes expect strict measures in China because the hosts are pursuing a zero-COVID strategy and want to prevent every case if possible.
- Qatar 2022 (November 21st to December 18th)
The 2022 FIFA World Cup™ is scheduled to be the 22nd running of the FIFA World Cup™ competition, the quadrennial international men’s football championship contested by the national teams of the member- associations of FIFA. It is scheduled to take place in Qatar from November 21st to December 18th, 2022.
- Tour de France (July 1st to July 24th)
The Tour de France is an annual men’s multiple-stage bicycle race primarily held in France, while also occasionally passing through nearby countries. Like the other Grand Tours, it consists of 21 stages, each a day long, over the course of 23 days. In 2022, it will be held from July 1st to July 24th.
In contrast to other sporting events, the world’s largest cycle race has never been canceled due to COVID-19.
- World Athletics Championships in Eugene (Oregon, US) (July 15th to July 24th)
The ‘kicker’ further stated that for the first time in over 20 years, the World Athletics Championships will be held in North America. Eugene won the bid unopposed.
- UEFA Women’s Championship in England (UK) (July 6th to July 31st)
The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) European Women’s Championship, also called the UEFA Women’s Euro, held every four years, is the main competition in women’s association football between national teams of the UEFA confederation. The competition is the women’s equivalent of the UEFA European Championship. This year, it will be held in England from July 6th to July 31st, 2022.
The organizers expect full stadiums, including games at the 90,000-capacity Wembley Stadium in England and the 76,000-capacity Old Trafford in England. The defending champion is the Netherlands.
- European Championships in Munich (Germany) (August 11th to August 21st)
The European Championships Munich 2022 will be the biggest sporting event in Germany since the 1972 Summer Olympics. From August 11th to August 21st, 2022, European sport will be united as its best athletes compete for the highest accolade of their sport on the continent – the title of ‘European Champion’.
- Formula 1 season (March 20th to November 20th)
Formula One (also known as Formula 1 or F1) is the highest class of international racing for open-wheel single-seater formula racing cars sanctioned by the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA). The World Drivers’ Championship, which became the FIA Formula One World Championship in 1981, has been one of the premier forms of racing around the world since its inaugural season in 1950.
A record season with 23 races is on the agenda for Formula 1. Between the start in Bahrain and the finale in Abu Dhabi, there are 21 other races, which will be held in Saudi Arabia, Russia, Mexico, and twice in the USA (Miami and Austin), among other places.
- European Basketball Championship in four countries (September 1st to 18th)
EuroBasket, also commonly referred to as the European Basketball Championship, is the main international basketball competition that is contested quadrennially by the senior men’s national teams that are governed by FIBA Europe, which is the European zone within the International Basketball Federation.
The 2022 edition will be held from September 1st to September 18th. The preliminary round will be held in Cologne (Germany) and the final round will be held in Berlin (Germany).
Important Sports Dates in 2022
- Darts World Championship in London which started on December 15th, 2021 and ended on January 3rd, 2022;
- 2022 Oberhof (Germany) Biathlon World Cup held from January 7th, 2022 to January 9th, 2022;
- The 2022 European Figure Skating Championships is being held from January 10th to January 16th in Tallinn, Estonia;
- Joint European Indoor Hockey Championship for men and women is on in Hamburg (Germany( from January 12th and will continue till January 16th, 2022;
- The Biathlon World Cup has been an integral part of the Ruhpolding (municipality in Germany) event calendar for years. In 2022, it is being held from January 12th and will continue till January 16th;
- The 2022 EHF European Handball Men’s Championship, co-organized by Hungary and Slovakia got off to a start on January 13th and will continue till January 30th;
- The Best FIFA Football Awards™ 2021 will take place on January 17th, 2022 as a virtual event from the Home of FIFA, Zurich, Switzerland, in line with ongoing public health measures;
- Australian Open to be held in the Australian City of Melbourne from January 17th to January 30th, 2022;
- The 2022 Willingen (Germany) Ski Jumping World Cup will be held from January 28th to January 30th; and
- The UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships will be held in Fayetteville, Arkansas (US) from January 28th to January 30th, 2022.
- The 2022 FIH Indoor Hockey World Cup (IHWC) will be held at the Country Hall of Liège in Belgium from February 2nd to February 6th;
- The 2022 Winter Olympics will take place from February 4th to February 20th in Beijing, China;
- Super Bowl LVI of the National Football League (NFL) will be held on February 13th 2022 at the 70,240-capacity SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California (US);
- Beginning of the first leg of the UEFA Champions League to be played on February 15th and February 16th;
- The 2022 NBA All-Star Game will be played from February 18th to February 20th at the 19,432-capacity Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland (US);
- The 2021-2022 BBL-Pokal will be the 55th season of the BBL-Pokal, the domestic cup competition of the Basketball Bundesliga (BBL) and will be held on February 19th and 20th;
- The UCI World Tour race (UAE Tour) will be held from February 20th to February 26th, 2022;
- Darts Premier League to be held at the 17,000-capacity Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin (Germany) on February 24th; and
- FIS Alpine Ski World Cup (men’s slalom races) to be held on February 26th and February 27th at Garmisch-Partenkirchen (town in Germany).
- The Champions Hockey League Final will be played on March 1st, 2022;
- The 2022 Winter Paralympics will begin in Beijing on March 4th and will end on March 13th;
- International Football Association Board (IFAB) General Assembly in Zurich (Switzerland) on March 4th and March 5th, 2022;
- Equestrian sport: World Cup finals in dressage and jumping to be held in Leipzig (Germany) from March 6th to March 10th;
- The 2022 Qatar MotoGP will take place on March 6th;
- Paris-Nice cycling race to be held from March 6th to March 13th, 2022;
- Soccer: Beginning of the second leg of the Champions League Round of 16 from March 8th to March 9th;
- Football: DFB Bundestag with Presidential elections in Frankfurt/Main (Germany) on March 11th;
- Nordic skiing: Ski Flying World Championships in Vikersund (town in Norway) from March 11th to March 13th;
- Biathlon: World Cup final in Oslo (Norway) from March 17th to March 20th;
- Soccer: Champions League draw, quarters/Round of 16 on March 18th;
- Cycling: Milan-Sanremo (an annual road cycling race between Milan and Sanremo in Northwest Italy) to be held on March 19th;
- Nordic skiing: Ski Flying World Cup in Oberstdorf (Germany) from March 19th to March 20th;
- Alpine skiing: World Cup finals in Courchevel (French Alps ski resort in France) from March 19th to March 20th;
- Formula 1: Bahrain Grand Prix to be held on March 20th;
- Football: FIFA suspension period with test matches of the national team from March 21st to March 31st;
- Cycling: Tour of Catalonia (Spain) from March 21st to March 27th;
- Figure skating: World Championships in Montpellier (France) from March 21st to March 27th;
- Ski jumping: World Cup final at Planica in Northwestern Slovenia from March 25th to March 27th;
- Ice hockey: End of the main round in the Deutsche Eishockey-Liga (DEL) on March 27th;
- Formula 1: Saudi Arabian Grand Prix to be held on March 27th;
- 2022 European Wrestling Championships to be held in Hungary from March 28th to April 3rd, 2022;
- Ice hockey: Start of play-offs in the Deutsche Eishockey-Liga (DEL) on March 29th;
- Football: FIFA Congress in Doha on March 31st; and
- Boxing: Women’s World Cup in İstanbul (Turkey) – to be determined (tbd).
- Football: World Cup draw preliminary round on April 1st;
- Rowing: Boat race between the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge in London (UK) on April 3rd;
- Football: Champions League first leg quarterfinals from April 5th to April 6th;
- Golf: Masters in Augusta (US) from April 7th to April 10th;
- Basketball: End of regular season of the National Basketball Association (NBA) on April 10th;
- Formula 1: Australian Grand Prix on April 10th;
- Football: Champions League second leg quarterfinals from April 12th to April 13th;
- Basketball: NBA playoffs begin on April 16th;
- 2022 World Snooker Championship in Sheffield (UK) from April 16th to May 2nd;
- Cycling: Paris-Roubaix (France) to be held on April 17th;
- Tennis: Porsche Grand Prix in Stuttgart (Germany) from April 18th to April 24th;
- Taekwondo: World Championship in Gojang (South Korea) from April 21st to April 24th;
- Handball: DHB Cup Final Four in Hamburg (Germany) from April 23rd to April 24th;
- Cycling: Liège-Bastogne-Liège/Belgium on April 24th;
- Formula 1: Emilia-Romagna (Italy) Grand Prix on April 24th;
- Tennis: BMW Open in Munich (Germany) from April 25th to May 1st, 2022;
- Ice hockey: Start of the DEL finals on April 26th;
- Football: Champions League first leg semi-finals from April 26th to April 27th;
- Ice hockey: End of the National Hockey League (NHL) main round on April 29th; and
- Weightlifting: EM Men and Women’s event in Sofia (Bulgaria) – to be determined (tbd).
- Cycling: Eschborn-Frankfurt (Germany) to be held on May 1st;
- Ice hockey: Beginning of the National Hockey League (NHL) Stanley Cup play-offs on May 2nd;
- Football: Champions League second leg semi-finals from May 3rd to May 4th;
- Ice hockey: Latest date for Game 5 DEL finals on May 5th;
- Basketball: Start of the Basketball Bundesliga (BBL) playoffs on May 6th;
- Triathlon: Ironman World Championships in St. George (City in Utah, US) on May 7th;
- Cycling: Giro d’Italia (ITA) (an annual multiple-stage bicycle race primarily held in Italy) from May 7th to May 29th;
- Formula 1: Miami Grand Prix on May 8th;
- Football: UEFA Congress in Vienna (Austria) on May 11th;
- Karate: EM in Gaziantep (Turkey) from May 11th to May 15th;
- Ice hockey: Men’s World Cup in Helsinki/Tampere (Finland) from May 13th to May 29th;
- Swimming: World Championships in Fukuoka (Japan) from May 13th to May 29th;
- Tennis: WTA tournament in Cologne (Germany) from May 14th to May 21st;
- Soccer: Bundesliga 34th matchday on May 14th;
- Football: 2nd Bundesliga, 34th matchday on May 15th;
- Women’s football: Bundesliga 22nd matchday on May 15th;
- Football: Europa League Final in Seville (Spain) on May 18th;
- Taekwondo: European Championships in Manchester, England (UK) from May 19th to May 22nd;
- Golf: PGA Championship in Tulsa (US) from May 19th to May 22nd;
- Football: DFB Cup Final in Berlin (Germany) on May 21st;
- Women’s soccer: Champions League Final in Turin (Italy) on May 22nd;
- Formula 1: Spanish Grand Prix on May 22nd;
- 2022 French Open from May 22nd to June 5th;
- Darts: Premier League final in Newcastle (England, UK) on May 26th;
- Rowing: World Cup in Belgrade from May 27th to May 29th;
- Women’s handball: DHB Cup, Final Four in Stuttgart (Germany) on May 28th and May 29th;
- Football: Champions League Final in St. Petersburg (Russia) on May 28th;
- Women’s football: DFB Cup final in Cologne (Germany) on May 28th;
- Formula 1: Monaco Grand Prix on May 29th; and
- Triathlon: Ironman 70.3 in Kraichgau (Germany) on May 29th.
- Basketball: Start of the National Basketball Association (NBA) Finals on June 2nd;
- Football: Four Nations League matches of the national team from June 2nd to June 14th;
- Triathlon: Ironman with EM women in Hamburg (Germany) on June 5th;
- Tennis: Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart (Germany) from June 6th to June 12th;
- Handball: Bundesliga last matchday from June 9th to June 19th;
- Equestrian sports: DM jumping and dressage in Balve (Germany) from June 10th to June 12th;
- Tennis: WTA tournament in Berlin (Germany) from June 11th to June 19th;
- Cycling: Tour de Suisse (most important cycling race in Switzerland) from June 12th to June 19th;
- Formula 1: Azerbaijan Grand Prix on June 12th;
- Tennis: Tournament in Halle (Germany) from June 13th to June 19th;
- Equestrian sport: DM eventing in Luhmühlen (Germany) from June 16th to June 19th;
- Golf: US Open in Brookline (US) from June 16th to June 19th;
- Darts: Team World Cup in Frankfurt (Germany) from June 16th to June 19th;
- Rowing: World Cup in Poznań (Poland) from June 17th to June 19th;
- Handball: Champions League Final Four in Cologne (Germany) from June 18th to June 19th;
- Sailing: Kiel (Germany) Week from June 18th to June 26th;
- Tennis: Tournament in Bad Homburg (Germany) from June 18th to June 25th;
- Basketball: Deadline for Game 7 NBA Finals on June 19th;
- Formula 1: Canadian Grand Prix on June 19th;
- Cycling: Time trial championship in Marsberg/Sauerland (Germany) on June 24th;
- Equestrian sport: CHIO in Aachen (Germany) from June 24th to July 3rd;
- Cycling: Road bike championship in Sauerland (Arnsberg-Winterberg) (Germany) on June 26th;
- Triathlon: Ironman with EM men in Frankfurt/ Main (Germany) on June 26th;
- Wimbledon 2022 from June 27th to July 10th; and
- Hockey: Deadline for Game 7, Stanley Cup Finals, NHL on June 30th.
- Cycling: Tour de France from July 1st to July 24th;
- Field hockey: Women’s World Cup in Spain and the Netherlands from July 1st to July 17th;
- Formula 1: Great Britain Grand Prix on July 3rd;
- Triathlon: Challenge in Roth (Germany) on July 3rd;
- UEFA Women’s Euro 2022 to be held in England (UK) from July 6th to July 31st;
- Karate: World Games in Birmingham (UK)/US on July 8th and July 9th;
- Rowing: World Cup in Lucerne (Switzerland) from July 8th to July 10th;
- Triathlon: World Championship Series in Hamburg (Germany) on July 9th and July 10th;
- Formula 1: Austrian Grand Prix on July 10th;
- Golf: British Open in St. Andrews (Scotland) from July 14th to July 17th;
- Football: Start of the 2nd Bundesliga from July 15th to July 17th;
- Athletics: World Championships in Eugene (US) from July 15th to July 24th;
- Tennis: Hamburg (Germany) European Open from July 16th to July 24th;
- Formula 1: French Grand Prix on July 24th;
- Soccer: DFB Cup 1st Round from July 29th to August 1st;
- Soccer: Super Cup on July 30th;
- Cycling: Tour of Poland from July 30th to August 5th;
- Formula 1: Hungarian Grand Prix on July 31st; and
- Triathlon: Ironman 70.3 in Dresden (Germany) on July 31st.
- Soccer: Start of the 1st Bundesliga from August 5th to August 7th;
- Equestrian sport: World Championships dressage and jumping in Herning (Denmark) from August 5th to August 15th;
- Football: UEFA Supercup in Helsinki (Finland) on August 11th;
- Athletics: European Championships in Munich (Germany) from August 11th to August 21st;
- Rowing: EM in Munich (Germany) from August 11th to August 14th;
- Swimming: EM in Rome (Italy) from August 11th to August 21st;
- Cycling: Tour of Spain from August 19th to August 23rd;
- Cycling: Cyclassics Hamburg (Germany) on August 21st;
- Cycling: Tour of Germany (destination Stuttgart) from August 24th to August 28th;
- Cycling: Mountain Bike World Championships in Les Gets (France) from August 24th to August 28th;
- Volleyball Men’s World Championship to be held in Russia from August 26th to September 11th;
- Athletics: Para World Championships in Kobe (Japan) from August 26th to September 4th;
- Formula 1: Belgian Grand Prix on August 28th;
- Triathlon: Ironman 70.3 in Duisburg (Germany) on August 28th; and
- 2022 US Open from August 29th to September 11th.
- EuroBasket 2022 to be held from September 1st to September 18th;
- Formula 1: Grand Prix of the Netherlands on September 4th;
- Football: Champions League 1st matchday group stage on September 6th and September 7th;
- Football: Europa League 1st matchday group stage on September 8th;
- Cycling: Grand Prix Québec (Canada) on September 9th;
- Rugby Sevens: World Cup in South Africa from September 9th to September 11th;
- Wrestling: WM in Belgrade (Serbia) from September 10th to September 18th;
- Cycling: Grand Prix in Montréal (Canada) on September 11th;
- Formula 1: Italian Grand Prix on September 11th;
- Triathlon: Ironman 70.3 in Erkner (Germany) on September 11th;
- Equestrian sport: WM eventing in Pratoni del Vivaro (Italy) from September 15th to September 18th;
- Rowing: WM in Račice (Czech Republic) from September 17th to September 25th;
- Cycling: Road World Championships in Wollongong (Australia) from September 18th to September 25th;
- Football: Two Nations League matches of the national team from September 22nd to September 28th;
- 2022 FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup to be held from September 23rd to October 3rd in Sydney (Australia);
- 2022 FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship to be held in the Netherlands and Poland from September 23rd to October 15th; and
- Formula 1: Russian Grand Prix on September 25th.
- Formula 1: Singapore Grand Prix on October 2nd;
- Triathlon: Ironman World Championship in Hawaii (US) from October 6th to October 8th;
- Cycling: Lombardy Tour (Italy) on October 8th;
- Women’s Rugby World Cup to be held in New Zealand from October 8th to November 12th;
- Formula 1: Japan Grand Prix on October 9th;
- Cycling: Track Cycling World Championships in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines (France) from October 12th to October 16th;
- Cycling: Tour of Guangxi (China) from October 13th to October 18th;
- Soccer: DFB Cup 2nd Round on October 18th and October 19th;
- Alpine skiing: World Cup to start in Sölden (Austria) (no official confirmation as yet) likely on October 22nd;
- Formula 1: United States Grand Prix on October 23rd;
- Darts: EM in Dortmund (Germany) from October 27th to October 30th;
- Triathlon: Ironman 70.3 World Championships in St. George, Utah (US) on October 28th;
- Formula 1: Mexican Grand Prix on October 30th;
- Tennis: WTA finals in Shenzen (China) from October 31st to November 6th; and
- Weightlifting: World Championship for Men and Women in Chongqing/China – to be determined (tbd).
- Football: Champions League, 6th matchday group stage on November 1st and November 2nd;
- Football: Europa League, 6th matchday group stage on November 3rd;
- Handball: Women’s European Championship in Slovenia, North Macedonia and Montenegro from November 4th to November 20th;
- Motorcycle: Last race MotoGP in Valencia (Spain) on November 6th;
- Formula 1: Brazilian Grand Prix on November 13th;
- Football: Bundesliga 15th matchday from November 13th to November 22nd;
- Football: 2nd Bundesliga 17th matchday from November 13th to November 22nd;
- Football: Beginning of the FIFA suspension period before the World Cup on November 14th;
- Formula 1: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on November 20th;
- 2022 FIFA World Cup™ to be held in Qatar from November 21st to December 18th; and
- Tennis: ATP finals in Turin (Italy) – to be determined (tbd).
- Football: Nations League, draw groups on December 16th;
- Swimming: Short Course World Championships in Kazan (Russia) from December 17th to December 22nd;
- 2022 FIFA World Cup™ Final in Qatar on December 18th;
- Ski jumping: Four Hills Tournament in Oberstdorf (Germany) on December 30th; and
- Ice hockey: Spengler Cup in Davos (Switzerland) – to be determined.
Continue to follow Coliseum for latest updates on venues business news. Coliseum is dedicated towards building the best global community of sports and entertainment venue executives and professionals creating better and more profitable venues.
Become a member of the only Global Sports Venue Alliance and connect with stadiums, arenas and experts from around the world. Apply for membership at coliseum-online.com/alliance and make use of the 365Coliseum Business.
« Previous News:
» Next News: