Alibaba head honcho take over reins of Nets, Barclays Center



Linkedin Twitter

Barclays Center Image: Barclays Center

Joe Tsai, co-founder and Executive Vice-Chairman of Alibaba Group, has obtained full ownership of Brooklyn Nets and Barclays Center in US.

Last month came the announcement that the Alibaba Group co-founder had reached an agreement to buy the controlling interest in the Nets and Barclays Center from Mikhail Prokhorov.

Tsai decided to buy the Barclays Center after he purchased a 49 per cent stake in the Nets in 2018. When he purchased the 49 per cent stake, he signed an agreement which allowed him to buy the remaining 51 per cent share of the franchise prior to the 2021-22 NBA season.

With this purchase, the new NBA Governor of the Nets and its affiliates is Tsai. He is also the Chairman of Barclays Center.

“With full ownership of the Nets and Barclays Center, we will continue to bring our exciting brand of basketball to our fans. We’ve made a strong commitment to Brooklyn and it will be a privilege to present the best of Barclays Center with its great entertainment to our community,” said Tsai.

Following the deal, the Nets and Barclays Center join the ranks of J Tsai Sports, the sports investment and holding vehicle controlled by Tsai. The other holdings in the J Tsai Sports kitty are San Diego Seals of the National Lacrosse League, Los Angeles FC of Major League Soccer, the New York Liberty of the Women’s National Basketball Association, as well as investments in the Premier Lacrosse League. Several sports media and technology companies based in North America and Asia are also a part of J Tsai Sports.

Vice-President Rich Tao, general counsel Henry Li and the Chief Executive Officer of J Tsai Sports and Tsai’s family office, Oliver Weisberg, played a pivotal role in clinching the Brooklyn Nets and Barclays Center deal. The Raine Group LLC was the financial advisor in the entire transaction while legal counsel was offered to Tsai and his team by Sullivan & Cromwell LLP.

Seasoned media and sports executive David Levy has been appointed by Tsai as the Chief Executive Officer of the Nets and Barclays Center. Levy will also take up the additional post of President of J Tsai Sports. He has reached this position after 32 years at Turner Broadcasting, including the last six years as President of the company.

“I am excited and honored to join the Nets organization and look forward to working alongside Joe and the talented forward-thinking executives and team members across the entire organization. Sean Marks and Kenny Atkinson have done a terrific job instilling a winning culture and I am looking forward to supporting them as we build a sustainable foundation of success on and off the court. I am excited for our fans and can’t wait to get started,” remarked Levy.

Continue to follow Coliseum for latest updates on venues business news. Coliseum is dedicated towards building the best global community of sports and entertainment venue executives and professionals creating better and more profitable venues.

Watch 150 member-exclusive videos with valuable tips for your venue



« Previous News:
» Next News:



More News

Rockford BMO Harris Bank Center upgrade

Blackhawks to shepherd Rockford Icehogs

Published: April 16th, 2021

The National Hockey League (NHL) team Chicago Blackhawks (US) officially purchased the American... » Read more

Scottish fans might be back into stadiums

The wait is over for Scotland football fiends

Published: April 16th, 2021

Football fiends in Scotland could be back to the stadia folds before the end of the current... » Read more

Australia Optus Stadium planning for big crowds

Western Australia fans have a field day

Published: April 16th, 2021

With the COVID-19 situation getting better in Western Australia, venues across the Australian State... » Read more

Rome gets UEFA approval as host city for EURO 2020

Rome fall in line with UEFA ‘fans’ clause

Published: April 16th, 2021

The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) received on April 14th from the Italian Football... » Read more


Receive global sports venue NEWS twice a week in your inbox