Everton will pay for new stadium at Bramley-Moore in full



Linkedin Twitter

Everton

Everton on May 12 released further details of their proposed new stadium by revealing that the club will pay for the move to Bramley Moore Dock in full in the shape of an expected 40-year lease while underlining their commitments to building a new home as atmospheric and intense as Goodison Park.

In March it was announced that the Blues had received the go-ahead to purchase the land by the River Mersey waterfront from Peel and a financial package was given the green light by Liverpool City Council.

Regarding the latest update, chief executive Robert Elstone said: “Since revealing we had agreed the principles of a deal with Peel for the purchase of the land at Bramley Moore Dock and an agreement with Liverpool City Council on a funding structure, the club has received many positive comments from fans and residents across the city.

“I’d like to thank you all for your support so far. I’d also like to reiterate our gratitude to Liverpool Mayor, Joe Anderson, Ged Fitzgerald, Chief Executive of Liverpool City Council and their colleagues for their support in what could be a game-changer – not just for Everton, but for the city of Liverpool.

“In return for that support, the city will benefit not only from an annual cash sum that will contribute to vital local services across Liverpool, but a city-wide boost from new jobs, new businesses and wider community benefits kick-started by the developments at both Bramley Moore Dock and Goodison Park.”

Everton’s funding of the stadium has come under scrutiny but Elstone has revealed that although Liverpool City Council will provide assistance in obtaining the loan needed, the Blues will ultimately finance the project in full themselves.

He said: “Whilst the Council is lending valuable support, it is important to stress that the club is paying for the stadium in full. We will pay for our new home with a long-term lease, likely to be 40 years.

“At the end of this time, the club will take sole ownership of the stadium. These two big steps forward were critical for the project to progress.

“They give us the confidence to proceed with the next phase of our work – the work required to define, in much greater detail, what the stadium will look like and the exciting role it will play in the future aspirations of the club.

“This phase of work will require substantial investment from the club, highlighting just how committed we all are to the success of the project.”

There has also been much debate over what capacity the new stadium should be. Renowned US architect Dan Meis is believed to be the man tasked with designing the stadium and it is believed that a template of 50,000 has provisionally been worked upon.

Coliseum is a global series of stadium and arena business conferences and a sports venue news online-platform dedicated to the various challenges of designing, constructing and operating of sports venues all around the world.

Watch 150 member-exclusive videos with valuable tips for your venue



« Previous News:
» Next News:


More News

Madid Open will get a new venue

Another venue planned at Madrid Open home

Published: September 24, 2021

Another venue will be built at La Caja Mágica – the home of Mutua Madrid Open – in... » Read more

Irish League clubs can now apply for FIFA loans

FIFA largesse for Irish League clubs

Published: September 24, 2021

Danske Bank Premiership (Ireland) clubs have been given the green light to apply for loans of up to... » Read more

The Big12 conference adds new members

Big 12 to embrace more US varsities

Published: September 24, 2021

The Big 12 Conference (US) announced recently that the Brigham Young University (private university... » Read more

Liverpool stadium expansion will start

‘The Reds’ home stand expansion to get going

Published: September 24, 2021

The Premier League team Liverpool F.C. (UK) confirmed on September 22nd that the proposed expansion... » Read more


Receive global sports venue NEWS twice a week in your inbox